Coming April 28, 2018
April 27, will be the opening of Camp Shadow, an Outdoor Metal Art Gallery, depicting CAMP LIFE here in Elm Springs during the 1860's Civil War. These life-size silhouettes represent various spirits of the past who were a part of the recruiting and training camp of Camp at Elm Springs during the 1860's.
It developed as a Confederate training camp, but after two years it became a camp for Union forces, then after the surrender, the camp area became a POST COLONY, where Union forces provided protection from Jayhawkers and Gorillas who were plundering the countryside and destroying crops and property. The Post Colony allowed Elm Springs to rebuild, even though the grist mill on the "springs" was burned down.
Camp Shadow will be temporarily located on Jayroe Avenue, across from the city park and north of the City Administration buildings in Elm Springs, Arkansas.
Many thanks for the "grant monies" we were able to purchase 10 figures. More are scheduled to be made as monies become available.
SPIRITS OF THE PAST include:
Lt. James Berry, a Confederate Lieutenant who was stationed at the Camp of Elm Springs. He later became the Governor of Arkansas and a United States Senator before his death.
William "Buck" Brown, A disenchanted Confederate turned Bushwacker, who lived and raided in the Elm Springs, Tontitown area during the civil war, with a loyal following of other former Confederates who terrorized the area before he was killed. His body lies in the Thornsberry Cemetery a few miles from Elm Springs.